History of Glidden
Glidden (also Chippewa Crossing) is an unincorporated census-designated place in the Town of Jacobs in Ashland County, Wisconsin.
The community is named after a member of the Wisconsin Central Railroad, along which it was located. Marion Park Pavilion was built in 1938 during the depression and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. In 1963, a 10'7", 665-pound Black Bear was hunted and taken in the Glidden area. The town immediately took on the title of "Black Bear Capital of the World", and many local businesses made "Black Bear" a part of their name. Glidden Public School also changed its mascot from the Viking to the Black Bear.
For detailed history the begining to 1935 please click on History of Glidden Prepared by the Freshman class of 1935.
To purchase Glidden History Memorabilia go to Glidden History Memorbilia under section links on the right side of this page.