A beautiful example of cooperation among the four adjacent Towns of Gordon, Jacobs, Peeksville and Shanagolden in the Glidden area is the operation of Marion Park.
The plot of land was donated by Dan F. Tyler from a part of his farm, which then extended well down toward the community of Glidden on Park street. It was named after Marion Tyler, eldest daughter of Dan and Mrs. Tyler.
The park did not then include the present baseball diamond. The latter area was rented for years and finally purchased in 1922 after the Town of Jacobs paid about $1500 in rent over a period of eighteen years. It was s called Woodlawn Park. The first recorded ball game was in 1904 against Fifield.
In 1909 Frank Huber constructed the first pavilion dance hall for $200.
In 1925 the Gliddden Commercial Club started the Glidden Community Fair with the four towns involved. The main exposition building was erected in 1926. In 1938 Frank Huber designed the present spacious pavilion and through the efforts of Chairman Joseph Schraufnagel and assisted from the The Federal Works Progress Administration fund, the building was erected for $11,000.
The building stands on 347 concrete pyramid pillars, and a concrete foundation supports the structure. The forms for the pillars and foundation were constructed from the lumber salvaged from the old pavilion. The new floor has the highest quality hard maple available at the time and extends 92 feet in diameter. This still provides one of the largest dance pavilions in northern Wisconsin. The building has 12' sidewalls and a domed roof that peaks at 45'. Operable windows completely surround the eight sided building. It has four beautiful entrances and each entrance faces a compass direction. The building was roofed with the newest asphalt shingles available in 1938.
The inside houses a stage or band stand 15' by 25' and was designed to be large enough to handle the high school band. It was planned to have to a hood over the stage to carry the sound to the remote cornors of the building. This was never constructed.
On June 21, 1940 a big free dance was arranged for the afternoon. This event provided a free experience to acquaint everyone in the area to the New Marion Park Pavilion, the largest and best dance hall in Northern Wisconsin.