In 1876, the Wisconsin Central Railroad built track through the area, and in doing so referred to it as Chippewa Crossing, giving the area it's first official name. Two years later they renamed the town to Glidden, after Charles R. Glidden, one of the founders of the Wisconsin Central Railroad.
Marion Park has always been an ideal location for many of Glidden's community events. In 1938, an octagon-shaped, fully closed pavilion was built in hopes of becoming "the best dance hall in Northern Wisconsin."
In 1963, a 10 ft 7 in, 665-pound Black Bear was harvested in the Glidden area. The town immediately took on the title of "Black Bear Capital of the World." Glidden Public School also changed its mascot from the Viking to the Black Bear.
Glidden also is the home to the "Biggest & Last Sleigh Hauled Log." A 20' white pine log weighing an estimated 7000 pounds, was sleigh hauled to Glidden on Dec. 21, 1984. It still sets on the sleigh it was hauled on. It was cut 14 miles east of Glidden and scaled 1960 board ft. The estimated age is 500 to 600 years old. In 2020 the log was moved to it's new location at Marion Park and in 2021 it got a new shelter.
A write-up of information gathered and put together by the Freshman class of 1935.
A video on the background of Glidden.
Copyright © 2018 Glidden Area Dev. Corp. - All Rights Reserved. Last updated 2/12/22
Powered by GoDaddy